Monday, July 2, 2007

Gotta Love the Tigers

Penaeus monodon (Asia)

The language of summer barbecuing is quite complex. Right around July 4th, the barbecue season is well underway, and people may be interested in grilling something a bit out of the ordinary.

No, I'm not talking about that annoying little dog that lives behind my house. Barking incessantly. Day. Night. When I watch television. When I'm trying to sleep. When I water the garden. When I walk to the kitchen. When I open the refrigerator. When I eat anything. I swear that little rascal can hear me eating.

No. As much as I'd like to grill that little puppy to a crisp, we don't condone any sort of violence here at Rosetta Rants. Not even towards the barking Spawn of Satan, himself. No, I'm talking about grilling something else.

For example, we threw some jumbo tiger prawns on the barbie tonight - shells-on, basted with a roasted red pepper and basil butter sauce. You gotta love the tigers. Man, they were good. Like little lawbstahs.

If you're gonna cook shrimp or prawns on the barbie, make sure you only cook them a few minutes per side, or you risk drying them out. Here's how I did mine:

Combine:

1 Lb, Jumbo tiger prawns (Shell-On, Costco, $16 per pound)
Juice of 1/2 Lime
1/3 Cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Coat the prawns with all ingredients and marinate for at least 1 hr. Grill 2 minutes per side. Baste and serve with any sauce or melted butter.

In addition to the prawns, we had lots of beer, margaritas, and mojitos. Then we took in some beautiful fireworks. A few days early, but who's counting?


I fully understand the language of lazy summer grilling. No further translation necessary.

But I'd still like to know how YOU spend lazy summer evenings...


1 comments:

Jaya said...

Yum. Yum. And YUM.