Saturday, July 7, 2007

7 7 7


There has been a lot of talk about today's date, being 7/7/07. Triple sevens. Lucky sevens.

Lots of weddings today.
Lots of gambling today.
Lots of lottery tickets sold today.

But what happened on the last 7/7/07? In 1907?

What about the one before that?

Here are a few interesting facts that will make you think today was extra special:

1. Science Fiction Writer Robert Heinlein (of Starship Troopers fame) was born on July 7, 1907.

2. Wilmington, North Carolina's Star News:

"July 7, 1907: The U.S. Gunboat Wasp reached port from Charleston yesterday evening and is moored at the wharf of the Springer Coal Co., near the foot of Chestnut Street, where she will remain five days on recruiting duty."
3. The Franco-Russian Arrangements at Tilsit, July 7, 18o7

A. The Franco-Russian Treaty of Peace and Friendship, July 7, 1807
B. Secret Articles, July 7, 1807
C. The Franco-Russian Secret Defensive and Offensive Alliance, July 7, 1807

And that's about it. No cosmos-changing events. No amazing coincidences that resulted in a chimpanzee accidentally being hired at a law firm, actually making a court appearance, winning the case, causing the opposing lawyer to jump up in disgust, slapping the banana from the chimpanzee lawyer's hands, causing the ridiculously wealthy defendant to slip and fall into the hallway, unknowingly dropping her wallet filled with $7,500 into your open backpack as you walk by.

That would be cool.

But it only happened to me once, and it wasn't on 7/7/07.

Translation: 7/7/07 is not a very memorable day.

What happened to you today that we will be remembering 100 years from now?

Update: Mrs. Translator just returned from overnight call at the hospital. She said the first baby that was born yesterday was the seventh grandchild in that family. But wait, there's more. The baby was also born in room 7 at 7:00 am, and weighed 7 lbs, 7 oz. Coincidence? I don't know. But that baby will probably like the number seven.

3 comments:

confessing7girl said...

my 7.7.07 was just exhausting passed the day blogging watching live earth the new 7 wonders and answering emails... :d ah it was fun!!!!! :D

Helen said...

I have always felt aggrieved with my parents that I was not the seventh child of a seventh child. How inconsiderate and unthinking of them was THAT??
I spent 07-07-07 shifting gravel around in our front garden. After several hours of this I informed my husband that I had either a) got indigestion, b) pulled a muscle or c) was having a heart attack, and it hurt when I breathed.
He told me to stop breathing.
He's not even medically qualified. I'm a lucky girl.

Translator said...

confessing - that sounds like a good day! Nice and relaxing!

Bimmy - sorry to hear that! I hope you feel better now!