Friday, July 20, 2007

Anagram Anarchy - One

We now embark onto a new journey - a weekly analysis of the language of anagrams.

From Wikipedia:

An anagram (Greek, anagramma 'letters written anew', passive participle of ana- 'again' + gramma 'letter') is a type of word play, the result of rearranging the letters of a word or phrase to produce other words, using all the original letters exactly once.

Each week, I will produce a new anagram for a chosen word or phrase. It's your job as budding translators to rearrange the letters to produce the answer.

If you are the first person to correctly identify the answer, you'll win a free "translation" of (and link to) your website. Just leave your entries in the comments to this post.

If no one gets it, the correct answer will be announced Monday morning.

This week's anagram:

Oxford Therein Hope

Hint: A secret society that has recently gained notoriety.


Can you help me translate? Good luck!

6 comments:

Alwizbme said...

Emm... Harry Porter came into mind.. how about "Order of the Phoenix" :D

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm not first but my mom just figured it out for me.. Order of the Phoenix

Congrats alwizbme!

Anonymous said...

I cannot make sense of most words at the best of times, due to the drink-fuelled haze through which I often view the world.

Frog the Dog said...

Oh Good game!
I shall try to be here FIRST next week!

robkroese said...

Order of the Phoenix, eh? I was going to try that, but I hear it just tastes like chicken.

Translator said...

Thank you all for participating! This has been a great success! Yes, alwizbme is correct.

Order of the Phoenix.

You win a free "translation" of your website!

Due to the overwhelming interest and underwhelming difficulty, perhaps I'll have to make Anagram Anarchy a daily feature in addition to my regular rants.

What do you think?