Sunday, June 3, 2007

Casa Bonita

Our next journey takes us to the heart of old Mexico - to one of the finest Mexican restaurants in the world - Casa Bonita.

Ok. It's in the middle of Denver, Colorado, and the food is just mediocre. My family and I just happened to grab some dinner and entertainment there this evening.

You may remember Casa Bonita from a little show called South Park:

The similarity is striking. It's almost as if Matt Stone and Trey Parker have actually been to the restaurant. Several times. Many times, in fact. Here's the scene from this evening (Nikon D70s):

And here's the scene with Cartman (and follow link to hear Cartman):

Uncanny.

Also, it looks like Cartman ordered the same thing I did : the beef deluxe dinner - all you can eat, baby! Can you guess how many tacos I ate?

But what's the point of this post? It's obviously not just going to be a shameless endorsement for the restaurant. I can't argue, Babygirl Translator and Girl Translator both love it. But that's not what this blog is about. I want to get down to the nitty gritty about the cultural phenomena that make us unique.

So, what's unique about Casa Bonita?

We ate in a cave tonight. That's unique.

And we ate food that came out of a can - with lettuce and cheese on top. The point is, you could serve yesterday's monkey shit from the zoo and kids would still flock to Casa Bonita, pulling their parents (and their wallets) behind them. It's not about the food - it's about the waterfall, the cave, and the...the...guy in a monkey suit always threatening to jump from the shadows.

The Waterfall (from whence Cartman lunged)

The point of all this, is that some time in our life we switch from an emphasis on entertainment to an emphasis on culinary perfection. We no longer need monkeys singing and dancing...we just need a nice glass of wine and a thick juicy steak. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy some dining fun with the kids, every once in a while. I'm just not sure when (or why) the culinary growing-up-switch is activated.

I just don't get it. Can you help me translate?

Howard's Translation: "Only go if you have kids. They are the only ones who understand the appeal, but prepare to roll your eyes. A lot."

Sapheyerblu's translation: "If we keep their attention placed on the divers, they won't notice how nasty the food is".

11 comments:

Howard said...

I cannot even begin to help you translate that. I was received dragged out there again for a birthday party (no, for an adult) having been systematically avoiding it for over a decade.

I can give you this translation:
"Only go if you have kids. They are the only ones who understand the appeal, but prepare to roll your eyes. A lot."

The last time we ate in the cave as well. It was, uh, interesting.

Stick with the Taco Salads. They seemed to be safe.

Anonymous said...

Yea, Casa Bonita! I love their Americanized Mexican food. Their haunted wishing well, however, doesn't really do it for me anymore.

Translator said...

Howard - great points. I'll try the taco salad next time. How many times did you go there as a kid? Like everyone else in Denver, I bet it was a lot!

Hey, Gaddy! Great you stopped by! For those of you who don't know, Gaddy and I grew up together and we've been to Casa Bonita countless times 2gether.

Gaddy is a wonderful (recently published) author. I'll be reviewing his awesome book in the near future. Stay tuned!

I agree. The wishing well freaks me out ;)

Splantrik said...

You actually ate in the cave? Lucky. I object to "2gether;" it only saves one letter, like @. I don't understand how @ was ever used before email addresses.

Translator said...

I saw it used @ work a lot. There was a F@ guy who had a C@ and he S@ on a M@ while his C@ chased a R@.

From me 2 U, Spl@ntrik.

Homemom3 said...

that's sounds really interesting. I do agree though, I sometimes dream of just sitting down to the seafood a nice drink and some adult converstion. Not McD's, Golden Corral or something like that, even though that is great with kids, I do enjoy a time to be a true adult.

Translator said...

I agree, homemom3. Adult conversation is very nice. But it's hardly ever as interesting as a conversation with my three-year-old! :)

Thanks for stopping by! Come back soon!

Beenzzz said...

There is a place here called the Mayan that sucks just as much as Casa Bonita. I'm pretty sure my food had fallen on the floor, was stepped on, and scooped into my plate before being served to me. Kids love it there....go figure.

Translator said...

Wow - The Mayan. I'll have to try that one!

Anonymous said...

I've eaten at Casa Bonita's several years ago. I live a few hours away from Denver, and though we've been to Denver several times, we've never eaten there again.

The translation with this place is simply "If we keep their attention placed on the divers, they won't notice how nasty the food is". We ate in one of the balcony tables. Those are so when the food makes you sick, you have a straight shot at the pool below. LOL

Great post!!!

Translator said...

Sapheyerblu - hahaha! That's a great reason why they have divers. I never thought about that! Thanks for the great comments, and I've placed your translation on the front page.

Come back any time!