Monday, August 20, 2007

Translating Kidspeak : One


Having spent the last four years with Girl Translator and Baby Girl Translator running around the Translator Estate, I’ve slowly gathered the knowledge necessary to accurately translate the Language of Kidspeak. Not since the Rosetta Stone helped us to decipher the lost mysteries of ancient Egypt, has modern man attempted a translation project of this magnitude.

Here’s the first installment of my monumental translation endeavor:

“Yes, I cleaned my room.”

Translation: I shoved my dirty clothes into the corner and put stuff in piles around the room.

“My legs don’t work!”

Translation: I don’t want to go to school, even though there is nothing physiologically wrong with my limbs.

“I don’t have to go potty.”

Translation: I will have to go potty in three or four minutes, which may coincide with the start of our car trip.

“That’s mine!”

Translation: Anything my little sister touches is desirable since she has shown interest in it.

Stay tuned for more. I'm working on it.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny can't wait for the next installment

Anonymous said...

So True, especially the potty part. I lost count of how many times it happened!

Cheers
James

Beenzzz said...

The room cleaning translation was right on the mark! I dread the deep cleaning of Z.'s room. I might find a 6 month old sandwich under her bed....

Burfica said...

oh that is soooooo true. Can't wait to read more. I have a few of my own, with regards to boys. uggghhh lol

Anonymous said...

This is great. I'm now a toddler translator in training.

The other day, in his sleep, Walter said "I not tired!", which is usually toddler speak for "I'm exhausted" when he's awake. I'm not sure what to make of it when he is actually sleeping.

Translator said...

Thanks everyone!

Ablogaboutnothing - Thanks! I'm constantly translating, so I'm sure the next installment will be soon.

James - yep. The potty phrase happens quite a bit!

Beenzzz - the old sandwich bed trick. It's a good way to save a snack for a rainy day.

Burfica - I'd love to hear your translations of your boy kidspeak!

Gerri - I hear the "I'm not tired!" phrase quite a bit, too! Although sometimes it's translated as:

"I'm very cranky and have a tendency to scream because I haven't had a nap but I want to play more and read books even though I'm a generally nasty human being right now."

Sometimes.

Anonymous said...

You nailed it, Translator!

Anonymous said...

If children now have their own official language, all they need is a flag then they can have their own country.

Translator said...

That's a very scary thought, My Lord. In fact, it sounds like the premise for a reality T.V. show. (T.V.'s will be invented in about 100 years, you'll see).

Anonymous said...

Fantastic translations.

Family Adventure said...

Love these. I too can relate to the cleaning translation. Except my boys' piles are in their closets, to boobytrap them the next time I try to extract some clean clothes for them to wear... lol. Keep it up!
Heidi

Urology Surgery in India said...

Great post and thanks for sharing....

penile implant said...

That was a VERY interesting one! Seriously interesting.

Cost of stem cell therapy in india said...

Greet work thanks for share nice post...

Cost of Stem Cell Therapy for Liver cirrhosis in India said...

Thank you, that was just an awesome post!!!

Cost of Stem Cell Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis in India said...

Thanks for great article sharing...