Saturday, August 4, 2007

Hats of Meat

We will now investigate the language of haberdashery - specifically, we will discuss the phenomenon of meat hats.

Possibly dating back to the 16th Century, meat hats have continued to please crowds in even the highest circles of society. According to the Hats of Meat Website:

"The expression 'I’ll eat my hat' traces back as far as the 19th century, usually credited to Abraham Lincoln in reference to one of his trademark stovepipe hats, which were often made of tenderloin".

Meat hats may be composed of any sort of bodily material, while the fashion trend remains the bane of PETA members worldwide. Here are a few examples:

The Pork Pie

The Base-Bull Cap

The Brisket Yarmulke (Made from 100% Kosher beef)

Now, I'm not saying that it's not creative, but I just don't think that meat translates well into clothing.

Perhaps it's because I think the appeal of having emergency food rations on your head is outweighed by the hats' propensity to attract bears.

I just can't put my finger on it. Is it the sight, the feel, the smell of meat on your head? I just don't understand the appeal of meat hats. Can you help me translate?


6 comments:

Jaya said...

Uhm... trying to come
up with JUST the right
word... a word that
concisely sums up my
thoughts on meat hats.
Ahh, I have it. The
word is ---> ICK

Anonymous said...

You're looking at it the wrong way. Meat hats aren't bad because they attract bears. They are good because they serve as a distraction for bears.

Imagine a bear is in a position to attack you. You throw your meat hat off to his side. Bear thinks, "Hey, boneless pork rib!" and goes to get it. Meanwhile, you run like the wind. Bear's happy; you're not dead. Win-win.

Translator said...

Jaya - good word to use. ;)

Dcr - Excellent way to look at it. A bear decoy!

Anonymous said...

:S nasty...what about meat socks...

tomshideaway said...

Can't Beat Meat Hats !!

Anonymous said...

Maybe they're useful in keeping flies off of the face because they'd be happily feeding on the meat on top of the head? I know, it's a stretch... Basically, those are really weird!